Sunday, July 27, 2014

Three Years Later

Well, I haven't posted on here since April of 2011, so maybe it's time for a new post...ya think?  I guess I just defaulted to facebook for journaling, but after visiting this site again, and reading some of my old posts, I must say that I find value in the longer format of these blogs.  So where do I start?

I suppose I'll start with where I left off...going to Nashville to see my friend, Doyle Dykes.  Funny thing is that this is pretty close to where I'll end up by the time this blog is finished.  The trip three years ago to visit Doyle in Nashville turned out to be an appetizer for the things that would come.

If I had to pick a common theme to describe the last three years, I would have to say "blessed" would best describe things.  I'm not saying everything was without its challenges and heartache.  Dad was diagnosed with cancer a couple of years ago, and had to undergo life-saving surgery and chemo, my best friend lost his sister and mother within a span of two months, and I even had to have a minor surgery, myself.  Still, I'm today a man filled to the brim with gratitude.

Among the highlights of the last three years would be our seven country European vacation back in 2012, a 20 mile hike in the Everglades and various trips to Virginia including hikes at Manassas and Yorktown battlefields.  Also, are the many blessings that have seen Nathan's progression in scouting just shy of Eagle Scout, and his incredible transformation into an artist.  I feel immense pride at Kristin's pursuit, and attainment, of her goals as a cosmetologist, and finally the realization of a dream to help plant and grow a music community in my own town of Summerville.  That brings us to now and the realization of a dream with the production of a music CD featuring friends, family and heroes...the Music Speaks Project.

Vipiteno, Italy 2012
Everglades Hike - 2013
Virginia Hikes - 2013

Friends - A Music Community Realized

The latter has been so incredibly rewarding through the new friendships and experiences that have come out of it already.  If you told me three years ago that I would produce an album featuring Nathan, Doyle Dykes, his daughter Haley singing a song I wrote, John Knowles, a duet with Phil Keaggy, and several more close friends grown out of a simple little idea for an open mic night at the Single Smile Cafe, I would have told you that it was a nice dream, but highly unlikely.  Thing is, it didn't happen three years ago; it happened little by little, prayer by prayer.

I remember praying not so long ago, and asking the Lord, if He didn't mind, that I would love to work with Doyle Dykes and Phil Keaggy.  I knew it was a pie in the sky thing to ask, but I explained that I wasn't chasing fame or glory, but rather the association and partnership with men of God in whom I admired and respected...the kind of men I wanted to emulate.  I wanted to create with them a thing of beauty, and I felt like they had His blessing already...I wanted to be a part of that.  And just like only God can do, windows and doors, flood gates even, began to open.  This simple little child-like request was met, not with indifference, but with an abundant answer.  Not only did I get the things I specifically asked for, folks like John Knowles, Greg Rowles, Kirby Easler, Steve McKoy, Dustin Ashenfelder, Haley Johnson and Greg Neff came through the opened door!  Nathan's artistry developed in perfect timing, little things like professional recording time at an affordable rate just fell from the sky, artwork, photography, even the money to produce the CD simply showed up as if on schedule.

Just a couple of weeks ago, at the invitation of John Knowles, we found ourselves in Nashville at the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society Convention. Nathan was on stage with John Knowles, and Tommy Emmanuel was adjusting Nathan's mic for him right before a performance.  I felt a little overwhelmed at where we were, what was happening, and all the things that had just happened.  I felt blessed, but I also felt something else...the weight of responsibility.  Jesus encouraged us to take His yoke upon us, and assured us that His burden is light, still there is a little bit of a burden there.  I'm no longer out doing the work of Keith; I'm part of what He is doing now.  I pray for the grace to continue to walk in the path He has laid before me...to not get distracted, discouraged, or prideful in any way.  His work is too important, and I don't want to remove myself from the beautiful part that He has so graciously given me.  I wish that I could walk perfectly, but I do know that where I fail that His grace is sufficient to keep me in His will.  With overwhelming gratitude, I accept that grace, and I look forward to walking wherever He leads.


With John Knowles at CAAS - 2014

1 comment:

Steven Givler said...

Glad you're back, Keith!